From: NP-Hardass <np.hardass@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Proxy-Maintainer heartbeats (re:sunrise/proxy-maint discussion)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:15:00
1 With the ongoing discussion about the state of both the sunrise and proxy-
2 maintainer, I thought it appropriate to bring up an issue that I've
3 encountered with the proxy-maintainer system, and would like to propose a
4 solution to it at the same time.
5
6 The current workflow (of which I am content with), is that bugs should be
7 assigned to the proxy maintainer, so that they are responsible to fixing
8 issues with the package (and it's ebuilds). Unfortunately, this has an
9 unintended consequence that if a proxy maintainer times out (goes AWOL), the
10 bugs in bugzilla sit, assigned to someone who is unlikely to respond at all.
11
12 To counter this, I'd like to propose a heartbeat system, whereby a master
13 list of users involved in proxy-maintenance is kept. On a regular basis, an
14 email is sent to the user, confirming their status as an active proxy-
15 maintainer. Failure to do so within some reasonable period of time results
16 in the user being dropped as a proxy maintainer, and all bugs that were
17 assigned to said user are reassigned. The reassignment could be to any
18 number of targets, depending on how flexible we'd want the system to be.
19 They could all be assigned to a target for timed-out packages, they could be
20 assigned to their original herds, etc.
21
22 Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
23
24 Thanks in advance.
27 NP-Hardass