From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fwd: -dev list moderation
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:12:40
1 On 22/04/18 23:00, Christopher Díaz Riveros wrote:
2 > El dom, 08-04-2018 a las 22:05 -0400, Alec Warner escribió:
3 >> Hi I'm Alec from Infra, and I've been working on the moderation we discussed
4 >> in today's council meeting.
5 >>
6 >> What I have done is basically:
7 >>
8 >> Create a git repo to hold the whitelist.
9 >> Created some integration where we can insert the whitelist into the ML
10 >> software.
11 >> Created some wiki documentation.
12 >> Tested most of this on a test list.
13 >>
14 >> In doing the testing, I determined it is possible to send a deny message for
15 >> non-whitelisted posters for the gentoo-dev list. I'm looking for some content
16 >> for that message.
17 >>
18 > Ideally, it would be something like:
19 >
20 > "Thank you for contributing to Gentoo Linux! While we encourage communication
21 > between users and developers, the mailing list that you are trying to post is
22 > currently in moderation. Please take a look at all the mailing list and its
23 > topics [1], if you still consider that your mail is appropriate for this
24 > specific mailing list, please contact Project XYZ [2].
25 >
26 > If you are still in doubt about the relevance of your email, please contact us
27 > on IRC, read our support site [3], and our contact site too [4].
28 >
29 > Thank you for helping Gentoo Linux!
30 >
31 > [1]:https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/mailing-lists/all-lists.html
32 > [2]:link project XYZ
33 > [3]:https://www.gentoo.org/support/
34 > [4]:https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/contact/
35 >
36 >> In particular it seems like there is a process where people may try to post,
37 >> get denied, and then are left at a loss for what to do next.
38 >> I feel like in #gentoo-dev its somewhat more approachable (you just ping a
39 >> random person and get them to voice you.) But its not like there is a list of
40 >> devs on the mailing list. Should we be directing these contributors someplace,
41 >> like the wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Contributing_to_Gentoo or perhaps
42 >> the proxy-maint project?
43 >>
44 > Currently, we lack a project that is capable of direct users in a manner where
45 > they reach the community and felt listened (or at least that wasn't obvious to
46 > me while looking for one in the projects list). While Public Relations project's
47 > mission is to improve visibility to the rest of the world, maybe we need a User
48 > Relations project, where we help users in a more "personal" way than the
49 > "support" or "contact" sections. It may help us to get some feedback from users
50 > too. This is not a new topic, I saw a bunch of emails describing the need for a
51 > place where users could go in the past weeks, and this moderation task may fit
52 > in this new project.
53 >
54 > Or maybe there is a better approach? I haven't found an exact project that could
55 > handle this situation, but if it exists I'd appreciate the reference to know it
56 > too.
57 >
58 > Regards,
59 Good cut at a response draft, Chris!
60
61 The only place I can think of at present to direct people is #gentoo IRC
62 .. not ideal, but probably the best we have presently. There isn't a
63 list-admin@g.o and I don't even know where that might end up, nor who
64 would deal with it even!
65
66 I think there is definitely scope for a "UserRel" type team - it would
67 fit in well with Daniel's concept of having a User Representative[-dev]
68 on council and/or Trustees to help shape the future direction(s) of the
69 distro. It would tie in with the PR team too, feeding back comments from
70 social media and forums, for example, as well as shaping news items and
71 publicity. Could be quite a fun team to be part of, potentially, for the
72 non-committing types...