From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 15:12:36
1 On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dean Stephens:
3 >> On 12/29/14 15:06, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> I'll certainly agree that not everything needs a formal project.
5 >>> However, if a project wants to have authority/autonomy beyond
6 >>> anything-goes, then it should welcome members and elect a lead
7 >>> regularly.
8 >>>
9 >> There is at least a defensible argument to be made that being able to
10 >> reject applicants is more important to being able to maintain a coherent
11 >> project than the often indicated duty to accept anyone who shows interest.
14 > What about projects that don't even reject, but rather ignore
15 > devs/contributors?
16 >
17 > We tell them to elect a new lead, so we don't have to deal with the
18 > people who screwed up, but can say "here, they formally are a functional
19 > project according to a random glep... problem solved".
22 Keep in mind that rules don't exist to justify bad behavior, but to
23 promote good behavior.
24
25 I can guarantee that whatever rules come out of the council meeting
26 are going to have some loophole that somebody can point to in order to
27 justify their idiotic behavior.
28
29 We should be aiming for a GLEP that promotes a reasonable way for
30 projects to govern themselves without a lot of unnecessary
31 overhead/etc. If somebody wants to contribute to a project and feels
32 that they can't, they should just ask for help. I don't want to
33 burden every group in Gentoo that gets along just fine because some
34 projects aren't that way.
35
36 Really, though, it seems like the biggest complaint is AWOL project
37 leads or members. I suggest that the simplest solution in such a case
38 is for somebody to step up and be bold. Just send out an email to the
39 alias announcing that they added themselves to the alias (non-devs can
40 ask somebody to help out with that), call meetings to discuss things
41 that are important, and so on. If not having an active person in
42 charge is detrimental then the team can just organize an election.
43 Leadership is more than titles. FOSS tends to be do-acracy, so if
44 you're trying to do something you probably have more power than you
45 realize.
48 Rich