From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Build log locales
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 19:05:52
1 On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
4 >>> [...] I consider any build system that fails depending on locale as
5 >>> br0ken and in need of fixing.
6 >>
7 >> +1
10 > You are welcome to waste your time fixing python setup.py files and
11 > unit tests that are broken unless you have a UTF-8 locale set. I think
12 > there are better uses of our time.
15 I think we're drifting topic-wise. The main concern is about bug
16 reports written in languages other than english that may be difficult
17 for most developers to read, and not so much about build-system
18 compatibility with locale settings. Sure, they should support
19 everything, but it isn't a critical bug if they don't.
20
21 My personal feeling on this is that maintainers should not be required
22 to accept bugs that contain logs generally written in something other
23 than English. They may still accept them at their own discretion.
24
25 I'm also fine with default portage configurations that support logs in
26 English by default even when the system locale is not set this way, as
27 long as users have a way to override the setting.
28
29 Rich