From: Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 19:22:04
1 On 11/14/18 10:53 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:24:28 -0800 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:45 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:50:48 -0800 Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:46 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:17:17PM -0800, Rich Freeman wrote:
9 >>>>>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
10 >>>>>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Give me an example of a Linux kernel source file that contains a
13 >>>> multiline table of years and copyright holders. At best you'll find
14 >>>> random notices scattered around files in my experience, mostly because
15 >>>> of how the code was pulled in from outside.
16 >>>
17 >>> Sure, from line 4 to line 10:
18 >>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/char/random.c
19 >>>
20 >>> Multiline table with copyright holders and separate years for each
21 >>> one.
22 >>
23 >> Sure, now look at the very next file in the same directory:
24 >> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/char/raw.c
25 >>
26 >> No copyright notice at all.
27 >
28 > And there is nothing wrong with this. The point of my link was to
29 > prove that multiline copyright notices are used in well known
30 > projects.
31 >
32 >>>>> Look anywhere outside the Gentoo tree. For that matter, take the Linux
33 >>>>> kernel, or even in the systemd source, there are several places with
34 >>>>> multiple copyright notices in them.
35 >>>>
36 >>>> Find me any project that organizes these into tables with years and
37 >>>> copyright holders at the top of the file consistently as a matter of
38 >>>> policy. As far as I can tell the Linux project has no consistent
39 >>>> policy on this front, and systemd inherited numerous outside source
40 >>>> trees as its scope expanded.
41 >>>
42 >>> We are not talking about demanding multiline headers for each
43 >>> ebuild, we are talking about a policy allowing such headers if
44 >>> necessary. This is the essentially same as Linux kernel does.
45 >>
46 >> The Linux kernel has no policy at all regarding copyright notices.
47 >> So, they allow anything and everything as far as I can tell. Or, if
48 >> they apply any filters it is just at the individual committer level as
49 >> code trickles its way up.
50 >
51 > It doesn't matter if they have a written policy or not. It is
52 > matter that such headers are allowed.
53 >
54 > And please show me the FOSS project other than Gentoo or its
55 > derivatives which requires single line copyright header and
56 > explicitly forbids multiline copyright notices.
59 > Best regards,
60 > Andrew Savchenko
63 I can't name any explicitly forbid multiline copyright.
64
65 for FOSS/Libre projects, I think it's a gentoo-ism, but
66 that's specifically in FOSS/Libre. for proprietary and
67 "work for hire" where the development is done under the
68 direction of a formal entity [business?], it's far more
69 common, and I think it wouldn't take 5 minutes to find
70 examples of those policies (but only corporate stuff)
71
72 it comes down to, I think - does gentoo wish to own
73 everything and hold copyright? that's much easier to
74 accept if the contributors are under contract and are
75 employed by gentoo.
76
77 -- kuza