From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: eselect@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Improving developer/user communication
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:43:18
1 On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:42:34 -0700
2 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 7/21/07, Allen Brooker <gmane@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > Allen Brooker wrote:
6 > > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
7 > > >> Allen Brooker wrote:
8 > > >>> Could we create a very-low-traffic, developer-posts-only list
9 > > >>> that is used for announcing important package changes? The list
10 > > >>> could also be used for other announcements (not sure exactly
11 > > >>> what - events where Gentoo devs will be, regional meets, other
12 > > >>> things). If people feel that using the same list for other
13 > > >>> announcements too would create too much traffic, consider
14 > > >>> creating multiple lists, which would allow people to subscribe
15 > > >>> to only the types of messages that they want to see.
16 > > >> Just made it at the same time as this one: gentoo-dev-announce.
17 > > >> We're still working out the policy.
18 > > >>
19 > > >> Thanks,
20 > > >> Donnie
21 > > >>
22 > > > According to http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml (and my
23 > > > impression from the name) that list appears to be for
24 > > > developer-targeted announcements.
25 > > >
26 > > > What I was thinking was something along the lines of some of the
27 > > > post-install messages (not all of them, just the important ones
28 > > > that might actually (appear to) break things - eg. glibc upgrade
29 > > > - "you can't downgrade"; gcc upgrade - "follow the guide here;
30 > > > coreutils upgrade - "some locations have changed - run 'hash -r'
31 > > > to clear the cache"; etc.) and other user-targeted messages to be
32 > > > sent to a list.
33 > > >
34 > > > Allen
35 > > >
36 > > I've also just been reminded about GLEP 42 [1] - What's the current
37 > > status and what are the hold-ups, if any? How can they be overcome?
38 >
39 > Afaik there is current no news reader for portage; but there is one
40 > for paludis (eselect-news or something)
41
42 You missed bug 179064, still waiting for some reaction from the eselect
43 people (if there are any alive).
44
45 > We have been syncing news items to you since spring, but no one has
46 > used the functionality yet.
47
48 Probably because (released) portage versions didn't support it, and the
49 paludis implementation wasn't fully compliant with the GLEP as well.
50
51 Marius
52 --
53 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list