From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] CoC change to encourage clear communication
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 17:15:29
1 On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:58 AM David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 09:23 +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
4 > > I can certainly appreciate the benefits of this as I just haven't had
5 > > the time to read most of the recent... uh... discussions. However, the
6 > > idea of enforcing something like this doesn't bear thinking about. It
7 > > reminds me way too much of 1984's Newspeak. If we're not going to
8 > > enforce it then there seems little point in including it. The most
9 > > verbose posters are unlikely to cut down just because we asked them
10 > > nicely.
11 >
12 > https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
13 >
14 > The debian code of conduct has a section called "Try to be concise".
15 > Would you really consider the Debian CoC Newspeak?
16
17 I think the concern is that sometimes the CoC is wielded as a cudgel: e.g.
18
19 "Be concise or I will ban you from the ML"
20
21 This is different than as a *principle* or a *guideline*. I think its
22 fine to say "We in Gentoo have a principle to be concise." This means
23 when someone posts a very long post you can simply reply
24
25 "Hi, Gentoo has a principle of concision, please try to apply that to
26 your posts in future; I'm not going to respond to long messages."
27
28 We have similar principles for code reviews (e..g don't send me a 1000
29 LoC review, send me 4 250 line ones broken apart so I can understand
30 the changes.) It doesn't mean one can't send big reviews, but it means
31 that when I get a 1000 LoC code review..the first thing I'm gonna do
32 is tell the author "please break this up" and then the review goes to
33 the bottom of my priority list.
34
35 -A