From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 21:56:44
1 On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 21:31:21 +0000 M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 15/11/18 18:50, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 06:50:52PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > >> | * Notice identifies the copyright owner at the time the work was first
5 > >> | published for parties seeking permission to use the work.
6 > >> | * Notice identifies the year of first publication, which may be used
7 > >> | to determine the term of copyright protection in the case of an
8 > >> | anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire.
9 > >> | * Notice may prevent the work from becoming an orphan work by
10 > >> | identifying the copyright owner and specifying the term of the
11 > >> | copyright.
12 > >>
13 > >> For "indentifying the copyright owner" nothing short of a complete list
14 > >> will suffice. Especially, a notice like the following (which mentions
15 > >> only "Gentoo Authors" and "Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.") does
16 > >> not help with that at all (i.e., it is no better than the simplified
17 > >> notice):
18 > >> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-cluster/ceph/ceph-13.2.2-r2.ebuild?id=5f77c21f23bf1c4cfb9e68be7aa27669c8146e8e#n1
19 > > Remember that in the US, SIE is a legal entity, so it can hold
20 > > copyrights, just like a person can. It is like "Gentoo Foundation, Inc."
21 > >
22 > > So, there would be two contributors in that ebuild: "Gentoo Authors"
23 > > and SIE.
24 > >
25 > >> Besides, these last three items are pretty much moot for a work released
26 > >> under the GPL-2 (which grants "permission to use"), and I think that
27 > >> even you aren't suggesting that we should go for a complete list of
28 > >> contributors.
29 > > You are right, I'm not advocating for a complete list of contributors.
30 > > I'm just advocating for flexability where contributors want it, and SIE
31 > > is one of those contributors that wants it.
32 > >
33 > > William
34 > Could we not simply move copyright notices into the metadata.xml, and not
35 > worry about the ebuild text itself?!
36
37 No, because Gentoo is used worldwide. Just for example: in Russia
38 file without copyright notices is considered proprietary (not
39 public domain! project wide license may help though in some cases)
40 and removal of copyright notices without author's agreement is a
41 felony except for court decision or expiration reasons.
42
43 Best regards,
44 Andrew Savchenko