From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:32:13
1 On 09/27/2018 10:13 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:52 AM NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> But that's really besides the point... The current status quo (as is the
5 >> case with me) is that a committer may be pseudonymous under the
6 >> condition that the Foundation have that individual's name in the event
7 >> of a copyright issue. So, I still don't understand how forcing everyone
8 >> to publicly use a real name achieves something that we aren't currently
9 >> achieving... Is that incorrect?
10 >
11 > Interesting point.
12 >
13 > If we were going to go down this road I'd still suggest that the
14 > Foundation have a policy on when the real names of contributors can be
15 > disclosed, either privately or publicly. If we were to use the
16 > defense that we have a statement from a contributor that they checked
17 > the copyright and it was ok, the first question somebody will respond
18 > with is, "who?" An answer of "we know who it is but can't tell
19 > anybody, even a court" probably isn't going to work.
20 >
21 > I think there are other arguments to be made against anonymity.
22 > You're hardly a list troll, but anonymity can breed this sort of
23 > thing. From a strictly copyright standpoint I don't see why the
24 > identity of contributors needs to be publicly disclosed, as long as it
25 > can be disclosed where legally necessary. Of course, if that is a
26 > court then depending on the jurisdiction it may become public anyway.
27 > Also, if we were going to go down this route then we also need to have
28 > better archives of such things, as trying to dig up some trustee email
29 > from 10 years ago is not the right solution. A secured repository of
30 > identities/etc would be better (the Foundation already has a place to
31 > store stuff like bank account details).
32 >
33 > Another practical argument against anonymity. If everybody agrees
34 > everything is public, then we don't have any personal information we
35 > need to protect under various privacy laws. As soon as we agree to
36 > keep some info private, then we potentially have obligations under
37 > such laws. Also, legally the Foundation is a US organization - so I'm
38 > not sure if things like the US-EU Safe Harbor provisions start to
39 > apply if we want to collect this sort of info from EU citizens. It is
40 > just a can of worms you can avoid simply by not hanging onto this kind
41 > of information. I believe that many of these privacy protections
42 > cannot be simply waived - we can't get some EU citizen to agree that
43 > they don't apply to us. If the laws apply then we need to follow
44 > them. Now, we're obviously not a big fish, so enforcement may never
45 > happen. Maybe compliance isn't burdensome - I only know enough about
46 > such things to know that I'd want to know more before going down that
47 > road...
50 which is worse? the hassle of tracking some personal metadata in a way
51 which is legally compliant, or admitting that gentoo didn't bother
52 collecting it and then allowed itself to facilitate legal injuries on
53 other parties - gentoo could be liable for that too.
54
55 if someone opts-in to submitting legal documentation as an acceptable
56 condition for affirming a name, that could make things easier for some
57 LGBTQ people, or persons who don't feel like using a female-coded name,
58 or any other personal attachment to a certain name. not sure how heavily
59 to weigh my own bias VS the value of inclusiveness & the optics for
60 gentoo's image, the spirit of the social contract (things like having a
61 choice), and all those other factors which never came up in 2006 when
62 the DCO first got its "real name" policy.
63
64 -