From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 20:51:56
1 On 01/25/2017 02:40 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 3:32 PM, Matthew Thode
3 > <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The way I see it is that Gentoo would basically remain as the status
6 >> quo, with some slight differences in reporting structure.
9 > Keep in mind that the changes in reporting structure make it NOT the status quo.
10 >
11 > Today you need to elect people you trust to deal with dispute
12 > resolution to the Council, and people who you trust to file taxes to
13 > the Trustees.
14 >
15 > Under the new proposal you basically need to elect people you trust to
16 > deal with dispute resolution and taxes to the Trustees. Honestly I'm
17 > not sure why we'd even have the Council since we already have QA and
18 > if somebody doesn't like a Council decision it will end up with the
19 > Trustees anyway, if only for them to decide whether or not they want
20 > to deal with it.
21 >
22 > People who would otherwise be interested in Council can just run for
23 > the Trustees and override all the Council decisions, and ignore the
24 > finances if it bores them. :)
25 >
26 > My main concern is finding people who are both the most trusted people
27 > where it comes to disputes and who are trusted to handle the finances
28 > is going to be difficult. For things that don't involve disputes you
29 > don't need any kind of escalation body since regular projects can deal
30 > with that stuff already. Dealing with disputes is inevitably going to
31 > fall on whoever has the final decision, because it is the nature of
32 > people in disputes to appeal anything less than that.
35 That's a good point. What may be better is to have the Trustees create
36 a project for finances and/or tax stuff. The same could be done for
37 legal needs. At that point the Trustees would just be there for dispute
38 resolution, though I do think that a financial / legal perspective is
39 important for dispute resolution.
40
41 As far as what happens with council, I half imagine that down the line,
42 especially if sub-groups are formed, both council and trustees would be
43 one group.
44
45 The problem I am trying to solve is one of who has ultimate
46 legal/financial authority in Gentoo. This would mean a change. At the
47 moment I can't think of a way that doesn't involve the Foundation (or an
48 umbrella) being that ultimate legal/financial authority.
51 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)