From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Agenda for the council meeting 2017-12-10 18:00 UTC
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 07:54:48
1 On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 23:21:57 +0000
3 > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I did wish to participate re two items here, but regretfully I will be
6 >> travelling at the time, and it's unlikely that I will have
7 >> connectivity.
8 >>
9 >> On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 08:39:54PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
10 >> > 3. Final review of GLEP 74 [4,5]
11 >> > --------------------------------
12 >> > Full-tree verification using Manifest files
13 >> The implementation is done, some tweaks were made since the previous
14 >> month's version.
15 >>
16 >> > 4. Restricting gentoo-dev/-project posting [6]
17 >> > ----------------------------------------------
18 >> > * Restricting posting to both gentoo-dev and gentoo-project, while
19 >> > creating a gentoo-experts list?
20 >> > * Restricting posting to gentoo-dev and moving all official
21 >> > business there?
22 >> > * Restricting posting to gentoo-dev and moving all official
23 >> > business to a revived restricted gentoo-council list?
24 >> > * Moderating lists instead?
25 >> I had not weighed in publicly on this before, but wish to make a
26 >> statement.
27 >> The original split of gentoo-dev to gentoo-project included
28 >> moderation of gentoo-dev, however that was never really implemented,
29 >> mostly for technical reasons, and a decreased need after the split.
30 >>
31 >> I oppose a further split of -dev/-project/-experts, and instead
32 >> propose better list policies of -dev. If it's technical, even coming
33 >> from an expert user, it probably belongs on -dev. If it's about the
34 >> organizational structures of Gentoo, it belongs on -project.
35 >> How do we keep the threads more on-topic? Moderation maybe, but I'm
36 >> not convinced that is best.
41 > I second this. I too do not want to see the lists split even further.
42 > There are far too many interested and competent users in it that can
43 > and do contribute in some ways. There has to be a better solution.
46 > Also:
47 >
48 > 1. Lack of enough package maintainers [1]
49 > -----------------------------------------
50 > Anything that can be done?
53 > I am intending to set up a buildbot instance and develop some builder
54 > scripts for it to aid in regular package maintenance. It should be
55 > able to do basic version bumps and run the test suite, present it to the
56 > pkg maintainers for final Q/A and pushes to the tree. It should also be
57 > able to check/test on whatever arches that have a worker connected to
58 > it. So this should help take some of the pressure off the various arch
59 > teams. My first goal is for it to do many of the python pkgs I
60 > maintain to get the basic system up and running. Plus I should be able
61 > to leverage some of the g-sorcery/gs-pypi code. Once operational, it
62 > should be possible to add additional parsers to check for and update
63 > dependencies to add additional types of pkgs to its capabilities.
64 >
65 > I will be able to have it run on amd64, x86 and arm64 arches with the
66 > equipment I have. Plus I have had others say they could help with
67 > additional arches such as an armv7 cluster. So, this should also help
68 > with keywording demand.
73 We are working on a similar thing for Kernel packages.
74
75 You can take reference from this:
76 https://github.com/gentoo/Gentoo_kernelCI
77
78 Buildbot:
79 http://kernel1.amd64.dev.gentoo.org:8010
85 > --
86 > Brian Dolbec <dolsen>
92 Thanks,
93 Alice Ferrazzi
94
95 Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
96 Gentoo Foundation Board Member
97 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
98 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A