From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] My manifesto for 2015/2016
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 16:40:51
1 On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 11:59:40PM -0700, Daniel Campbell (zlg) wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 07/09/2015 09:05 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > * We can learn from the past and improve upon it. Continuing to do
7 > > things like we have in the past is not a bad thing in itself.
8 > > However, using what we have done in the past to block change can
9 > > be. I understand that people are used to doing things a certain
10 > > way. However, that alone is not justification for continuing to do
11 > > things the same way in the future. if we need to make a change, we
12 > > should make sure that change is backward compatible with what we
13 > > have, or if this is not possible, provides the smoothest possible
14 > > transition for our users. Since the council doesn't maintain all
15 > > of the packages, the council is not going to know the technical
16 > > details of how to make either of these happen, so I don't feel
17 > > that the council should mandate specific implementations.?
18 >
19 > Does this relate to a certain init system that shall not be named? The
20 > chosen verbiage prompted a mental head-tilt.
21
22 this was a general comment about resistance to change. I have run into
23 situations where upstreams change or deprecate functionality but users
24 seem to want us to keep supporting the old functionality forever because
25 that's the way they have done things for 20 years, even if it means
26 forcing us to jump through hoops and significantly diverge from
27 upstream.
28
29 I agree that if upstream doesn't provide a smooth transition away from
30 the old function it is up to us to do that, either by automation or by
31 notifying users and giving them time to adjust, but I do not belive in
32 continually diverging from upstreams to support old deprecated functions
33 forever.
34
35 I was not specifically referring to any software, just a mentality
36 I have encountered.
37
38 > What is your stance on standardizing Gentoo's stack? Do you feel that
39 > choice is more important than predictability beyond stage3?
40
41 I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Gentoo's stack" -- can you
42 elaborate a little more on this?
43
44 > Thanks for taking the time to read, and thank you for your continued
45 > work in Gentoo. You're one of the people whose work and involvement
46 > inspired me to become a developer.
47
48 Thanks Daniel. :-)
49