From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Question about a installer for Gentoo.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:02:47
1 On 10/11/2010 05:37 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > Which also means we can do the above step by step. A graphical installer
3 > which does the half of installation and stops is useless. But a tool
4 > that speeds up the manual installation by half is very useful.
5
6 I'll definitely agree - I would make use of a more automated installer.
7
8 I had to set up a few virtualbox gentoo images and it took forever -
9 especially with the number of steps that amounted to "build this, then
10 config this, then build this..." - making it less iterative would be
11 nice. I don't mind if I configure 10 things, and then it builds
12 overnight.
13
14 A pre-packaged genkernel/modules package or something like that probably
15 wouldn't hurt either. Sure, I want to run gentoo-sources, but it would
16 be nice to at least get a system that boots in less time.
17
18 Maybe a "stage4" that is basically the handbook with some default
19 choices made could help here - pick a syslog, crond, dhcpcd, etc.
20
21 Rich