From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:20:07
1 On 15/01/17 07:41, Matthew Marchese wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Huzza! Welcome to 2017! This year I would like re-ignite the Gentoo news
5 > project. It has been smoldering for some time and I think with a small
6 > bit of interaction from YOU (the developers, the council members, and,
7 > yes, even YOU foundation members), it would be easily rekindled.
8 >
9 > To be clear, I have no absolutely no intention of writing a full
10 > newsletter each month. Most people's attention spans are not long enough
11 > to even read though a newsletter or make it this far into an email, so
12 > I'm not looking to spend a lot of time doing that. I have something much
13 > simpler in mind. Presently the GMN project has moved. It is now called
14 > simply "News". We have a #gentoo-news channel on Freenode and a
15 > news@g.o mail alias.
16 >
17 > Here is the YOU part: the only way this project will work is if YOU push
18 > news announcements to ME. As you understand, Gentoo is a broad ecosystem
19 > with LOTS going on _constantly_. I only use one desktop environment and
20 > can't look at #gentoo-commits / gentoo.git log to track the changes of
21 > major successes or new additions to the main repo.
22 >
23 > You can use either the IRC channel or news@g.o to push news items
24 > of interest to me. I will handle weeding them out and getting them to
25 > the developers and the community on the social sites. The IRC channel is
26 > preferred because I am always connected, and messages are instant; but
27 > again, as it should be in Gentoo, _your choice_.
28 >
29 > Example news items could be:
30 >
31 > * New release of Gnome (or any other supported DE).
32 >
33 > * New, interesting packages added to the main repo.
34 >
35 > * New projects - Tell me about the project goal and what you're working
36 > on. I will also watch the gentoo-project list, but LOTS of times it's
37 > easy to miss things.
38 >
39 > * Project changes - Want the community to test something? Want to warn
40 > us about something? Want to remind us of something? Want to scold
41 > inactive members of your project? You can now do that on social sites so
42 > that the world can see! Hope you caught the sarcasm in that last sentence.
43 >
44 > * Event annoucements - Tell me where you're meeting and what you'll
45 > talking about. Give me the highlights of a past the event. Tell me why
46 > attendees should go to your event. Share pictures from your event.
47 > Gentoo is going to be present as FOSDEM 2017. What about Scale? I'd be
48 > happy to push invitations to the social sites. Just tell me what to say.
49 > For event invitations should also have an announcement on the front page
50 > of the main site, IMO, but we can start with getting them to our social
51 > sites.
52 >
53 > * Anything that is exciting that has happened for Gentoo - This goes for
54 > projects that completed a long or short term goal, Gentoo being
55 > recognized for something important, or Gentoo is seen somewhere in the
56 > news media. Good OR bad external news can be shared. You can even rip
57 > something off the forums or Reddit and re-share it in #-news.
58 >
59 > * Gentoo ported to run on a strange or unusual piece of hardware -
60 > Recently I saw Gentoo being ported to the PS4. That was something that
61 > should be shared with #-news.
62 >
63 > Once it gets to me, the news will probably go out one news item at a
64 > time, in one or maybe two sentences. This way we can be reporting news
65 > as it develops, instead of releasing news in a monthly --oneshot like
66 > the old project. As mentioned for event invitations above, larger or
67 > more important news items can hopefully be shared on the main www page.
68 >
69 > Also, the QA project seems to be good at generating all kinds of graphs
70 > and charts, so I have no plans to use the old Python scripts for those
71 > kinds of things. I do have some other ideas up my sleeve for this
72 > project in the future.
73 >
74 > The one thing to take away from this email: if you have some news item
75 > that has some value to the community you should share it in #-news. It
76 > would be great to release early and release often in terms of news. This
77 > will not happen without YOUR help.
78 >
79 > Anyone who wants to aid these efforts welcome to join the project.
80 > Looking forward to hearing any thoughts from you on things that may need
81 > to be flushed out a little.
82 >
83 > Your docs doctor and news host,
84 >
85 > Mr. Marchese
90 Sounds great! I'm on board (have been lurking in -pr for some time now)
91 if there's anything I can do ...
92
93 MJE