From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:32:30
1 On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 17:12 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > The clause doesn't punish anyone. The clause ensures that Gentoo
4 > developers get the effective management to which they are entitled. Any
5 > punishment is done by the developers as a whole, when they decide who
6 > to reelect and who to reject.
7
8 Ok so what happens in the 2+ months it takes to elect a new council. Of
9 which their first meeting is not likely to make much progress. But more
10 establish bearings. Who is the council in the intern? What power do they
11 wield?
12
13 > It'll only be the same people running if every developer thinks that
14 > no-one on the Council has screwed up in any way. If that's the case, we
15 > get the same Council for another year -- no harm done. But if some
16 > Council members are held in general to be 'bad', they will be replaced.
17 >
18 > When the required election takes place, I expect there'll be two or
19 > three changes, the same as there were for most other elections.
20
21 What happens if this discourages past/present council members from
22 running or others? As we have seen with the trustees. Do we want to kill
23 off the council. Being as how we have never gone down this path before.
24 The outcome is unknown.
25
26 > Other people will presumably run too. I know at least a couple of
27 > developers who have said that they'll be seriously considering running
28 > against the current Council because of their dissatisfaction with the
29 > way things are.
30
31 Which concerns me. Given the abilities, level of contributions, etc of
32 some of those on our current council. I can't think of any others with
33 more knowledge or that would be better suited.
34
35 Will != skill. With the council being the top of our technical lead. I
36 think that is 100% skill, and 0 will.
37
38 > You might as well say "what's the point in holding yearly elections if
39 > the same people end up standing?".
40
41 That is completely different. That would be more of a sign of showing
42 approval and reward of their actions. When we are punishing them due to
43 failure to make a meeting, etc. That is not approval of their actions.
44 Which should not be rewarded.
45
46 > They can run. But anyone who's deemed to have screwed up too badly
47 > won't be reelected.
48
49 Only in theory.
50
51 > One thing you should know -- developers had the choice of voting for
52 > Grant's proposal with or without my slacker additions. They could also
53 > have requested ballot options of "only the individual slacker rules,
54 > not the 50% one too" had they wanted, but no-one did. The vote was very
55 > heavily in favour of adding the slacker rules.
56
57 Yes, and it was narrow cited. Likely high approval due to circumstances
58 at the time. How many years ago? How many have retired and come on board
59 since? Are the people, times, things still the same?
60
61 I don't think people cared enough then or since. To considering the full
62 implications of the clause the voted in. Thus it being partial and
63 incomplete. Yet still approved, but never been enacted upon till now.
64 Which at that time, reveals how half baked it was. Yet all still
65 approved it. Not sure what that says, but doesn't seem good to me :)
68 William L. Thomson Jr.
69 amd64/Java/Trustees
70 Gentoo Foundation