From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Agenda for the council meeting 2017-12-10 18:00 UTC
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 23:22:01
1 I did wish to participate re two items here, but regretfully I will be
2 travelling at the time, and it's unlikely that I will have connectivity.
3
4 On Sat, Dec 09, 2017 at 08:39:54PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
5 > 3. Final review of GLEP 74 [4,5]
6 > --------------------------------
7 > Full-tree verification using Manifest files
8 The implementation is done, some tweaks were made since the previous
9 month's version.
10
11 > 4. Restricting gentoo-dev/-project posting [6]
12 > ----------------------------------------------
13 > * Restricting posting to both gentoo-dev and gentoo-project, while creating a
14 > gentoo-experts list?
15 > * Restricting posting to gentoo-dev and moving all official business there?
16 > * Restricting posting to gentoo-dev and moving all official business to a
17 > revived restricted gentoo-council list?
18 > * Moderating lists instead?
19 I had not weighed in publicly on this before, but wish to make a
20 statement.
21 The original split of gentoo-dev to gentoo-project included
22 moderation of gentoo-dev, however that was never really implemented,
23 mostly for technical reasons, and a decreased need after the split.
24
25 I oppose a further split of -dev/-project/-experts, and instead
26 propose better list policies of -dev. If it's technical, even coming
27 from an expert user, it probably belongs on -dev. If it's about the
28 organizational structures of Gentoo, it belongs on -project.
29 How do we keep the threads more on-topic? Moderation maybe, but I'm
30 not convinced that is best.
31
32 mlmmj, the list manager app that has powered the lists since 2004/Oct/28
33 has served us well. However, it needs to be replaced. Upstream progress
34 has stalled, and the codebase is not trivial to improve. It lacked
35 features that are ever more relevant (spam, real moderation,
36 web-interfaces).
37
38 Mailman is my leading replacement candidate, as they have resolved many
39 of the issues that prevented it's choice ~13 years ago (mostly around
40 Unicode). It would give improved moderation & subscription control,
41 amongst other improvements. Also in Python3 rather than the unique style
42 of C used by mlmmj.
45 Robin Hugh Johnson
46 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer
47 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
48 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
49 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136