From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 18:06:40
1 On 2019-02-05 11:41 a.m., Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:38:51 +0100 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to
6 >> start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more
7 >> like Sunrise but with some automation in mind.
8 >>
9 >> Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch,
10 >> and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from
11 >> private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid
12 >> depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e.
13 >> public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev.
14 >>
15 >> Now, reviews are normally done on commit ranges; by default, from
16 >> current state of public to current state of dev. When such a range is
17 >> reviewed, every commit belonging to it gains reputation. When a range
18 >> of commits gets reputation of 3, it is merged to public.
19 >>
20 >> Reviews can be done by devs or privileges users. Review by dev gives 3
21 >> rep points, and by privileged user gives 1 rep point. Therefore,
22 >> a commit is merged if it's either reviewed by dev or 3 privileged users.
25 >> Users gain reviewing privilege also via reputation points. If a commit
26 >> range including user's commit gets merged to master, user gets 1 rep
27 >> point (independently of number of commits in the range). When user gets
28 >> 5 rep points, he can start reviewing stuff.
29 >>
30 >> Finally, besides positive approval we have option of flagging. You can
31 >> flag commits, e.g. for malicious code, vandalism, etc. If a commit is
32 >> flagged, merging it is blocked until a dev resolves the flag.
33 >> Furthermore, devs can issue bans to users responsible for the bad stuff.
34 >>
35 >> That's my idea, roughly. The main points are:
36 >>
37 >> - stuff is reviewed before publishing to users,
38 >>
39 >> - people are encouraged to review stuff, as previous unreviewed commits
40 >> are going to block their own,
41 >>
42 >> - initially reviews are done by devs but as users gain reputation, they
43 >> start being able to review ebuilds committed by others,
44 >>
45 >> - flagging gives extra protection against mistakes.
46 >>
47 >> Your updated thoughts?
48 >
49 > How is it different from the sunrise overlay? We had very similar
50 > unreviewed/reviewed split model there. And you buried that project
51 > yourself ~2.5 years ago because it was stinking already.
52 >
53 > Furthermore such project will distort already thin resources from
54 > proxy maint and GH PR reviewers.
55 >
56 > So I see no practical point in resurrecting sunrise under another
57 > name and a slightly different policy. So please NO.
58 >
59 > Best regards,
60 > Andrew Savchenko
63 The primary difference I see between this new proposal and Sunrise is
64 that it isn't going to hinge on what ended up being a single gentoo
65 developer handling all of the publishing reviews, and there won't be a
66 review-before-initial-commit either.
67
68 I'm not sure if it will pull away from proxy-maint or GH PR's either,
69 but rather re-focus those two projects to allowing user-contributions
70 to existing gentoo-repo packages while this new project will be for
71 new packages. If anything I think it may reduce the effort necessary
72 to keep up with those projects since new packages won't need to be
73 maintained there.*
74
75 Whether or not these differences are sufficient to empower us to make
76 this repo, I don't know -- Sunrise was started back when overlays were
77 few and not nearly as simple to create. The idea of having everyone
78 commit to one place rather than each having their own could be better
79 in theory, but if users prefer to just run their own like they do now
80 then this project's going to be a bit of a waste...
83 * we could very well have an issue, just like we did with Sunrise,
84 where a dev moving the package to gentoo repo and 'taking over' from
85 the users that previously 'owned' it in GURU ends up causing some
86 conflict. I don't recall if policy was ever sorted on that since iirc
87 we can have the same issue with proxy-maint too?