From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2012-02-14
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:02:25
1 On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'd like to discuss the recently received email on "official permission
3 > to promote Gentoo on Facebook as Gentoo Linux Poland group", and in
4 > particular whether this is something for the Council, or for the
5 > trustees instead.
6 >
7 > I recall something about the use of Gentoo, it's logo, etc., but can't
8 > find it.  I would like to focus the discussion on the sub-question
9 > raised in the email, if and how we (Council) can support initiatives to
10 > promote Gentoo.
11
12 Well, use of the Gentoo name and logo are definite Trustee issues (if
13 anybody wants an exception to the policies the trustees have to grant
14 it). However, I'm sure we're all interested in cooperating with the
15 Council on any suggestions they have/etc.
16
17 Right now there is a page regarding use of the Gentoo name and logo:
18 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/name-logo.xml
19
20 We're actually in the process of updating the policy - not so much to
21 change it as to deal with a bunch of questions that keep coming up
22 regarding copyright/trademark/etc so that we have a single
23 comprehensive license - I'll be aiming to post a draft on the -project
24 or -nfp lists in the next week or so for comment.
25
26 So, speaking only for myself I think it is a good idea to support
27 local Gentoo efforts around the world, provided that these efforts
28 have some kind of association with and accountability to the project
29 as a whole. Things like links on the g.o website and official
30 recognition via use of the name/logo are easy things to provide. I'm
31 sure the Foundation could also consider funding for specific
32 activities if it made sense, although obviously we need to be careful
33 here (we already fund the occasional banner/DVDs/etc for conferences).
34
35 The existing name/logo policy already has provisions for community
36 initiatives that do not require any special permission from the
37 Trustees. There are some requirements like disclaimers/etc that a
38 site is not official for them to make use of them.
39
40 For a site to be considered official it would probably make sense to
41 have some kind of formal tie-in to the organization as a whole. That
42 might just be an identified lead (perhaps staff, perhaps not), and
43 maybe some kind of charter. To have official recognition a group
44 would need to be aligned to the mission of Gentoo and would need to
45 follow relevant laws/etc (handling of money, copyright, etc).
46
47 Again, all the above are just my random initial thoughts. I'm
48 certainly open to suggestions/proposals here, and I'm sure most
49 trustees would feel basically the same. We're a community distro, so
50 anything that strengthens the community is a plus as long as we stay
51 on the up-and-up.
52
53 Also, in general if anybody has questions as to whether a particular
54 use of the Gentoo name/logo are acceptable they're always welcome to
55 submit a question to trustees@, or on -nfp, or file a bug/etc. The
56 Trustees can help those interested in promoting Gentoo stay compliant,
57 or provide exceptions where required.
58
59 Rich