From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 11:26:36
1 On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It seems to me that there's a couple of issues that really bother people
4 > here:
5 >
6 > - The maintenance burden of any additional code; and
7 > - Overriding a maintainer's decisions on existing code.
8 >
9 > My suggestion helps to deal with the former, while I believe Rich has
10 > made a good point for the latter as part of larger changes that are
11 > either council-supported or have general consensus. When we voted GLEP
12 > 39 in ourselves (or joined while it existed), we agreed to respect the
13 > decisions of the leadership and structure we chose.
14
15 I don't think most of the recent controversy has been over existing
16 code, but rather the addition of new code (though a two-line
17 insinto/doins is stretching the meaning of "code"). However, if a
18 controversy broke out over existing code I'd feel the same about it -
19 as long as the changes were sensible and well-supported by a
20 project/etc I would not want maintainers to block them.
21
22 The original question was, "Do you think package forks or
23 split-packages FOR SINGLE FILES would improve user experience?"
24 (emphasis mine)
25
26 Rich