From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: separate /usr preparation vote
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:19:27
1 On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 09:48:09PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > > I just don't see any reason for waiting, at least not right now. If
3 > > the argument is that we should give users some period of time to
4 > > prepare, then we should be sending out some kind of specific news item
5 > > telling them what preparations to make and THEN waiting.
6 >
7 > The vote is to make sure all of the necessary documentation is in place,
8 > so this isn't really part of it. But, yes, once this vote passes,
9 > communication to users as the changes happen will be important.
10
11 Documentation can always be improved, but I do feel it is up to the task
12 already. We document how to create an initramfs using genkernel (which is
13 dead easy) and mention several times that a separate /usr (or root on LVM)
14 requires an initramfs.
15
16 All our examples use the initramfs as well.
17
18 > > Finally, I could see the /usr merge as a POSSIBLE reason to move
19 > > things sooner. If somebody wants to propose some plan to make that
20 > > happen they should do so, and we can debate it on this list and so on.
21 > > However, I don't see any value in moving a bunch of stuff around
22 > > purely for the sake of a /usr merge when there isn't any plan to
23 > > finish the work. If anybody is thinking about that being the driver
24 > > they need to have a plan that actually gets us to the end goal, and of
25 > > course we need to agree that this is even a goal we want to have.
26 >
27 > The /usr merge is a totally separate issue that I really don't want to
28 > bring into this discussion. There are people who are fine with us
29 > cleaning up the separate /usr issue, but opposed to the /usr merge, so
30 > that needs to be a separate item imo.
31
32 Yes please; merging / <-> /usr has impact beyond just documentation and
33 initramfs. For SELinux for instance, that means our policies will need to be
34 adjusted so all /bin/* contexts also get assigned to /usr/bin (and /sbin to
35 /usr/sbin) and symlinks are "accepted" where they are currently not.
36
37 I think for such a merger, we'll need to know what will be the goal, and set
38 steps in that direction that make it so a transition is not full-park,
39 big-bang, but rather gradually with little to no end user involvement
40 (step-wise).
41
42 Wkr,
43 Sven Vermeulen