From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:28:25
1 On 07/30/2013 05:08 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 20:31 Thu 25 Jul , hasufell wrote:
3 >> Gentoo has a social contract [1] which makes a lot of noise about free
4 >> software. However our default settings allow to use almost any kind of
5 >> non-free license such as "all-rights-reserved".
6 >>
7 >> While I see nothing wrong with gentoo providing proprietary stuff (and
8 >> I have created a lot of such games ebuilds), I think according to our
9 >> philsophy and social contract we should make people aware of free
10 >> software and because of that also change the default to:
11 >>
12 >> ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
13 >>
14 >> This is only about the _default_. We will have to change the handbook
15 >> at "1.d. Licenses" [2] and might also make a news item.
16 >
17 > Gentoo has been and should remain a pragmatic distribution rather than
18 > promoting a specific licensing philosophy to our users.
19
20 We are already doing that by declaring:
21 "Gentoo is and will remain Free Software".
22
23 > We've always
24 > focused on providing *reasonable* rather than *restrictive* or *minimal*
25 > defaults,
26
27 Setting @FREE as a default _is_ reasonable, because it underlines what
28 is already in our social contract and might help to make people more
29 aware of it at extremely low cost.
30
31 > in the interest of keeping the barrier to entry lower and
32 > lessening the effort required to set up a functional Gentoo
33 > installation.
36 That argument has already been brought up here and it doesn't make much
37 sense in this context. It's an effort of changing/adding a _single_ line
38 in make.conf and is even documented in the handbook.
39
40 > I don't see any conflict between requiring that our system packages be
41 > free software and providing the pragmatic experience that we also
42 > promise to our users in our philosophy:
43
44 I don't see any conflict between requiring the user to accept unfree
45 licenses explicitly and our philosophy.
46 In fact, we are already forcing interaction with that variable via "-@EULA".