From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2020 / 2021 Election - Questions for Candidates
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:27:41
1 On 2020-06-19 21:25, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > Team,
3 >
4 > Its been my impression that this last years council has had a fairly
5 > easy life compared to previous years.
6 >
7 > Some context ...
8 > The council is now 15 years old. Some concepts were worked out
9 > over a few beers at FOSDEM 2005, formalised over the next six
10 > months and the first council met in quarter 4 2005.
11 >
12 > I have memories of the council being set up as a disputes
13 > resolution body, not a leadership body but that was 15 years ago.
14
15 There were lots of ideas how to organize back then, and most of them
16 didn't work out as originally intended. After all we're still the
17 equivalent of a herd of cats, everyone doing their thing.
18 >
19 > Some questions ...
20 > 1. What do candidates see the councils role as in Gentoo today?
21 The last year or two council has mostly discussed and signed off on
22 'disruptive' changes (e.g. new EAPI, changing directory layouts)
23
24 I think that's a perfectly reasonable setup.
25
26 The conflict resolution thing hasn't been invoked much (or at all), so
27 maybe we've figured out how to quietly coexist. Mostly.
28 >
29 > 2. How do candidates see the role of the Gentoo council
30 > changing in the short term .. say the next few years?
31 I don't see a need to change things, if there is any change I'd go one
32 level up and ask how Gentoo should be changed.
33
34 There are lots of ideas, but most of it never gets the critical amount
35 of manpower to happen. So instead we keep things going as they are - is
36 that bad?
37 (Personally I have a ton of ideas but a backlog of things to do that'll
38 keep me busy for a long time, so most of it will be done when it gets done)
39
40 > 3. Why is this role change required?
41 Malformed question ;)
44 > 4. How will candidates work to bring this change about during
45 > their term of office, should they be elected?
46 Since my goal is to keep things as they are, for now, I've already done
47 it ;)
48
49 Have fun,
50