From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] My manifesto for 2015/2016
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 06:39:56
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:11:26 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > Could you elaborate on that? I'd agree Code of Conduct is important,
5 > > just wondering what specifically would you like to do.
6 >
7 > We need to define harassment, discrimination etc and also ask the
8 > trustees to support applying the CoC to foundation members.
9
10 We should be extremely careful here: if rules will be too strict or
11 too complicated, this will ruin free, open and frankly
12 conversations we now have in the community. The problem is that
13 what one person may consider an innocent joke, another one may
14 consider as an insult. Add a language barrier here: many (most?)
15 people in the community are not native speakers, so words may be
16 used or understood improperly without any malicious intention.
17 My opinion here is that we should leave things as is: I don't
18 remember any real issues of harassment or discrimination in our
19 community, so any restrictions will only hamper us: they can't
20 improve what is perfect already, but they can harm by frightening
21 people.
22
23 Best regards,
24 Andrew Savchenko