From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:03:10
On 22:05 Thu 07 Jun     , Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> [...]
Thanks, Ulrich — I accept. As a brief manifesto, I have 3 reasons to run for council: 1. Representing the Gentoo philosophy as a long-term dev (9+ years) with a cool head and reasonable point of view 2. Making the council less of a bureaucratic blocker on progress and improving its productivity 3. Overseeing the health of our dev and user communities I believe that individual developers drive all the innovation with Gentoo, and the council's role should be to get out of their way instead of setting up roadblocks. The importance of having people who have Gentoo's philosophy in their blood can't be overstated, and this only comes from long and extensive experience working within our community. Being able to apply this philosophy to every council decision ensures that we stay consistent with the spirit of Gentoo. I've seen the council transform greatly since I took some time away from the council prior to this term. There are many parts of that transformation that I think need to be reversed to make Gentoo more productive as a whole. Bureaucracy and general confusion are getting in the way of progress on both large and small scales. For example, having some kind of solution for the GLEP 55 problem has *literally* dragged on for *years*. And we ended up choosing an option that was out there for nearly as long as the GLEP itself. This is one case where making almost any decision is better than making no decision. On the smaller scale, I'm talking about problems caused by, for example, the frequent rotation of chairs. This means every meeting is run by someone different so there's no good continuation of issues from the last meeting, and a lack of experience in moderation so we get off-topic and talk too long without decisions. We should have at most a few chairs who are running 3-4 months of meetings in a row. Finally, something I've cared deeply about for years is the health of Gentoo's developer community. We occasionally need to take action to ensure it stays healthy, and fortunately we seem to be closer to the peak of a cycle at the moment. But it's inevitable that we'll have problems again, and we need to be prepared and ready to deal with them quickly, at a council level if necessary. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Council Member / Sr. Developer, Gentoo Linux <> Analyst, RedMonk <>