From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 13:39:13
1 On 2018-11-14 19:59, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > I think the impact of allowing multi-line traditional copyright in the
3 > gentoo repo (which is acceptable according to GLEP 76, but not
4 > necessarily according to repo policy right now) is going to be
5 > minimal, to be honest. The vast majority of us I expect will be happy
6 > with "Copyright [years] Gentoo Authors" simplified attribution.
7
8 This is a big misunderstanding and was probably the biggest mistake we
9 (the people directly involved) made, when we proposed the GLEP text.
10
11 Like ulm said in another branch of this thread, we added that exception
12 for *external* code. To be prepared if we ever need to handle that.
13 At no time we thought about that any contributor could *abuse* that
14 paragraph to add a copyright notice into our normal repositories,
15 especially in ebuilds.
16
17 Now we have to deal with arguments like "It isn't explicit forbidden so
18 it is allowed", great.
22 Regards,
23 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
24 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5