From: Jimi Huotari <chiitoo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 22:07:15
1 On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 08:16:16 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > There has been a steady escalation here by the council and various
5 > > other developers. So, this is satisfied (or is that subjective of me to
6 > > assume?). Is there a metric for establishing whether good faith has
7 > > occured?
10 > It's my (subjective) belief that a good faith discussion with forum-mods
11 > never occurred. Feel free to disagree!
12
13 As one of the forum admins/mods, this is more or less how I feel as well.
14
15 Thank you, A, for your considerate e-mail.
16
17 Also thanks to Klondike for their e-mails on this subject back in November.
18
19 Speaking of my thoughts and about how I felt about the situation from
20 around the time when this topic came up again this year: we have the
21 bug(s) and complaints from the other year, yeah, but I for one seriously
22 did not realise we were in such a hurry.
23
24 There I was, waiting for the forums upgrade to move along, which would
25 likely mean some changes with regards to the structure of the forums
26 as users see it (including Off the Wall; I've mentioned this before
27 already, and these were part of the plans well before anyone brought any
28 of this up last year).
29
30 Life and stuff happens, and people who were mainly working on the upgrade
31 can't work on it any longer, and I decide to push it forward myself when I
32 can. Then, rather suddenly, people demand that we change how things have
33 been done for quite a long while now, immediately, with some suggestions
34 towards getting rid of us (admins/mods and the forums) entirely. I know
35 that several developers who maintain ebuilds do not consider those who do
36 not maintain ebuilds (previously 'staffers') as real developers, so that
37 part isn't a big surprise.
38
39 I had actually hoped to finally finish things up with regards to
40 officially becoming an ebuild maintainer as well, but I'm not so sure
41 about that any longer... and I digress.
42
43 To go back to the topic of urgency for a bit, bug 677824 [1] last said:
44
45 "Closing for now, as discussed in today's council meeting. Please reopen
46 when there is input from the mailing list."
47
48 This is the state it was in before the "discussion" started again in the
49 private mailing list this year. Before that, I don't know of any sort of
50 communication towards our general direction on this matter.
51
52 The bug now also mentions some IRC conversations as well, which are
53 something we've not been a part of, though I do admit I am aware of a lot
54 of them if only because I happen to idle in some of the particular
55 channels (#gentoo-council and #gentoo-infra for example), and do
56 occasionally read the back-log.
57
58 In closing: it really should not be too surprising that people might be
59 more willing to change things when they're asked nicely to do so, though
60 it seems people had already decided what to do here regardless of what we
61 say or do.
62
63 As a kind of a sidey-note, to this day, I don't remember seeing anyone
64 reporting any of the offending posts as they normally would be, via the
65 forums [2], which is a big part of how moderation over there happens. :]
66
67 1. https://bugs.gentoo.org/677824
68 2. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-28820.html