From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: "Trusted contributor model"
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 04:47:45
1 On 22.7.2022 22.53, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 >
3 > Try it and see.
4 > Once access had been granted. Who is responsible for monitoring?
5 > I would expect it to be the dev that usually made the commits but
6 > due to the trust model, more or a random sample basis.
7
8 Yes, a @gentoo.org person/project is still required to be listed as a
9 maintainer, and they take responsibility.
10
11 I imagine anyone can ask for the access to be revoked if they see the
12 committing person causing more harm than good, and if there's a conflict
13 between devs then QA can decide.
17 > Are these trusted contributors devs?
18 > e.g. accounts on Woodpecker, standing/voting in council elections
19 > and so on?
20
21 No. If my feeling how-to-make-this-work is correct, there's no need to
22 setup an LDAP account for them.
26 > I'm more on the fence on this one. The mentors job does not stop
27 > when recruitments completes. The mentor is still required to keep a
28 > weather eye on progress for another six months.
29 >
30 > How does the post recruitment mentoring happen with no mentor?
31 > I can see how it works with the subjects in RFQ 1 ... they have
32 > been mentored since they obtained their trusted status but what
33 > about others?
36 Mentor is _required_ to monitor their mentee _one_ month after
37 recruitment. But I think I get what you mean, there's not that intimate
38 relationship anymore.
39
40 Even now at least me and gokturk have a habit of giving some general
41 feedback to the new recruit after one month, which requires checking
42 what they've done during that time. But really, #gentoo-dev in general
43 is very helpful and I got to give credit to sam who always seems to be
44 the first one on spot when a new recruit is having some questions. I
45 guess in a way we'd be sharing the "mentoring load" between multiple
46 people instead of focusing one one giving all support.
47
48 And again, we wouldn't recruit "just anyone" with this method, but the
49 people who've proven they got it. I'm not too worried about this. But
50 remember people, there's no shame in asking before doing something
51 potentially breaking!
52
53 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature