From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 16:11:06
1 On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm not going to mince words here: why did we kick out a contributor who
3 > was helping the Gentoo cause? I've looked over logs that were shared
4 > with me and the worst thing I could find was an off-color joke. Worse
5 > things occur on these mailing lists that never see Comrel's inbox, so
6 > why this?
7
8 This does not sound like you have the full picture of the years over
9 which Ian attempted to contribute to Gentoo. I was involved for a long
10 time, basically from the start of Ian's tenure as a developer, and I
11 fully support his being kicked out.
12
13 > What I'm looking for is undeniable proof that Ian was irrevocably
14 > damaging and threatening to Gentoo, to justify his dismissal and
15 > accompanying ban. If such information will not or cannot be provided,
16 > then it indicates to me that there *is* no proof, and without it I will
17 > call for his reinstatement for the next council meeting.
18
19 As I'm not a member of ComRel or Council or whatever and I haven't
20 kept any logs, I think you're being to binary about this. Even if
21 there is no single thing that shows Ian "irrevocably damaging and
22 threatening" Gentoo, there can still be a reason to prevent him from
23 participating in some of our venues. I think the problem with Ian is
24 that, as hard as he may try to contribute, I found his contributions
25 to be net negative to the distribution. As such, I do think his
26 presence is damaging to Gentoo. (And please note that I initially
27 encouraged him to join us, and, as lead of the Python team at the
28 time, spent significant time ironing out issues that arose from his
29 attempts at contribution.)
30
31 > I am not alone in requesting accountability from the top of Gentoo. I
32 > will take the results of this conversation into consideration when it's
33 > time to vote next year, as Gentoo is suffering from staffing issues and
34 > practices like this actively damage Gentoo's ability to attract and
35 > retain contributors. I have personally met people who have suffered as a
36 > result of this debacle; people willing and eager to help us out that are
37 > still struggling to join our ranks. So what gives?
38 >
39 > This distribution should not turn away anyone willing (and able) to
40 > help. This is a critical flaw that could accelerate our decline.
41
42 I respectfully but strongly disagree. Some people that are willing and
43 able to help can in the end turn out to be negative contributors. It
44 is imperative for our community that we can identify those people and
45 minimize their impact on the distribution both socially and
46 technically.
47
48 Cheers,
49