From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 14:50:59
On 02/13/2018 03:41 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> > > On February 13, 2018 8:51:59 AM EST, Kristian Fiskerstrand > <k_f@g.o> wrote: >> On 02/13/2018 02:43 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote: >>> You make a lot of bold claims. If only they were true. There >>> is >> definitely one council member who has said they WILL NOT recuse >> themselves from a council vote if a conflict arose. They even went >> on to quote the lack of policy forcing them to recuse themselves. >> >> As this is likely referring to me, it is a misattribution that is >> actually more in line with rich0's statements than anything else. >> A difference of opinion does not necessarily constitute a conflict >> of interest, and I will not recuse myself on general grounds from >> a council decision because I'm also involved (lead or not) of a >> project. >> >> I explicitly said I _would_ recuse myself if there is a conflict >> of interest. > > Right, you did state that. The issue is the misunderstanding of a > conflict of interest as noted in my previous reply to Rich. >
I do find it quite curious that while some are talking about too much of a divide between groups of Gentoo, others are proposing measures to further increase the divide by effectively having a council that can not participate in any other project. What about the conflict of interest if a developer doesn't participate in any other project? Is it really that terrible that a project gets proper representation in a council by having an active member if they want to get some actual work done? Is it a conflict of interest that other projects does not get the same attention, given that the interests are likely more in the subjects the project a developer actually contributes to and we should require equal representation of all projects? -- Kristian Fiskerstrand OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3