From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 14:50:59
1 On 02/13/2018 03:41 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 > On February 13, 2018 8:51:59 AM EST, Kristian Fiskerstrand
5 > <k_f@g.o> wrote:
6 >> On 02/13/2018 02:43 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
7 >>> You make a lot of bold claims. If only they were true. There
8 >>> is
9 >> definitely one council member who has said they WILL NOT recuse
10 >> themselves from a council vote if a conflict arose. They even went
11 >> on to quote the lack of policy forcing them to recuse themselves.
12 >>
13 >> As this is likely referring to me, it is a misattribution that is
14 >> actually more in line with rich0's statements than anything else.
15 >> A difference of opinion does not necessarily constitute a conflict
16 >> of interest, and I will not recuse myself on general grounds from
17 >> a council decision because I'm also involved (lead or not) of a
18 >> project.
19 >>
20 >> I explicitly said I _would_ recuse myself if there is a conflict
21 >> of interest.
22 >
23 > Right, you did state that. The issue is the misunderstanding of a
24 > conflict of interest as noted in my previous reply to Rich.
27 I do find it quite curious that while some are talking about too much of
28 a divide between groups of Gentoo, others are proposing measures to
29 further increase the divide by effectively having a council that can not
30 participate in any other project.
31
32 What about the conflict of interest if a developer doesn't participate
33 in any other project? Is it really that terrible that a project gets
34 proper representation in a council by having an active member if they
35 want to get some actual work done? Is it a conflict of interest that
36 other projects does not get the same attention, given that the interests
37 are likely more in the subjects the project a developer actually
38 contributes to and we should require equal representation of all projects?
41 Kristian Fiskerstrand
42 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
43 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3