From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:46:27
1 On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 1:18 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 12:39:41AM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >> Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2018, 00:11:30 CEST schrieb Matthias Maier:
4 >> > Hi all,
5 >> >
6 >> > The next council meeting is in about two weeks. This is the time to
7 >> > raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda to
8 >> > discuss or vote on.
9 >>
10 >> I would like to put the following proposal on the agenda:
11 >>
12 >> The Gentoo council shall directly contact "Software in the Public Interest
13 >> Inc." (SPI), with the intention of Gentoo becoming a SPI Associated Project,
14 >> independent of the Gentoo Foundation.
15 >
16 > FYI, the Foundation did ask the SPI about joining, but got an answer
17 > that could best be summarized as, "Fix your problems first and then ask
18 > us again".
19 >
20 > In slightly more detail, they felt they did not have the manpower to
21 > take on an existing entity of Gentoo's scale, with it's present issues.
24 Yeah, it is questionable whether they would even be interested.
25
26 However, this proposal is actually a bit different from the last. In
27 this case the Gentoo Foundation wouldn't be joining SPI, and the SPI
28 wouldn't be Gentoo's successor in interest. Essentially this would be
29 the creation of a new entity independent of the Foundation, much as
30 the Gentoo e.V. is independent of the Foundation.
31
32 So, legally the new organization would start out with no assets, no
33 money, no IP, no anything, and most importantly no history. That
34 would actually make it small and uncomplicated.
35
36 I think it is an interesting concept that the Council/Trustees should
37 consider. It could be a short-term experiment that everybody decides
38 is horrible and gets shut down. Or it could be a long-term model that
39 operates in parallel with the Foundation forever. Or it could
40 eventually replace the Foundation. While I'm not suggesting this
41 there is also nothing stopping us from having more than one
42 arrangement like this.
43
44 If everybody likes the way this model works, then presumably all new
45 donations would be directed towards it, and all new hardware would be
46 purchased by it. Over time the Foundation would look to spend down
47 most of its money (just hanging on to enough to cover any tax
48 bills/etc) and retire its assets except for the intellectual property.
49 At that point in time the Foundation will be smaller and will not have
50 as many transactions coming in, which reduces the problem to cleaning
51 up the past mess, and all new operations are happening in a separate
52 legal entity which is free from the burden of the past errors.
53
54 I suspect we would want to clean up all the compliance issues with the
55 Foundation before we consider transferring any assets from the
56 Foundation to any other entity, because I suspect that not doing so
57 would either be illegal or would expose the new entity to those
58 liabilities. Ideally we'd want to try to have a firewall in-between.
59
60 Long-term it might even be desirable to maintain the Foundation as a
61 holding company for our copyright/trademarks. If it didn't have
62 financial transactions (other than the once per decade renewals/etc)
63 then managing it and filing taxes/etc would be MUCH simpler. The
64 day-to-day churn would stay under an umbrella which could manage the
65 compliance burden this churn would create. The only gotcha would be
66 if there was a need to enforce those copyright/trademarks, and that
67 would need to be something we very carefully considered, because that
68 would probably create a ton of churn. If we just held them
69 defensively then all it would take is the periodic paperwork with the
70 USPTO.
71
72 I'm sure there are many other ways something like this could work.
73 What was written above was just meant to be illustrative, and to
74 suggest that we have more options than we might be considering. Since
75 we're not a profit-making corp that needs to ensure that every dollar
76 ends up getting channeled upwards to our shareholders we probably have
77 some freedom in having less traditional arrangements. To some extent
78 with the e.V. we already have this - legally there is no relationship
79 between the two organizations, and yet they have coexisted without
80 conflict for a decade. To be fair though if somebody did want to
81 abuse our trademarks and we actually wanted to enforce them the split
82 approach might make this more difficult, because we then have the
83 burden of showing that the entity that is enforcing the IP actually
84 owns it in that jurisdiction. If the e.V. sued over abuse of the
85 trademark in Europe, the defendant might argue that the Foundation
86 owns it. If the Foundation sued the same entity they might argue that
87 the e.V. owns it (they don't really care - it is just a defense
88 argument we open ourselves up to). Again, this is probably less of an
89 issue if our intent is only to use them defensively.
92 Rich