From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Stabilization process addition: Announcements about required manual intervention
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 22:08:34
1 Hi all,
2
3 I would like to suggest that as part of the stabilization process,
4 developers are required to (get PR to) make an announcement about any
5 manual intervention that (might be) required on a stable system.
6
7 At the moment, this would include most blocks (eg. the recent e2fsprogs
8 block) and issues such as the firefox/xulrunner use flag issue.
9
10 These announcements should appear on the gentoo.org front page,
11 gentoo-announce list and the announcements forum.
12
13 The announcement should appear before the first (affected) architecture
14 stabilizes the package.
15
16 I think this would help alleviate the load of those helping in the
17 forums, irc and mailing lists as well as probably reduce the number of
18 unnecessarily created bugs.
19
20 Obviously the need for these announcements will be drastically reduced
21 with the stabilization of portage 2.1.6 / 2.2, but I suspect there will
22 still be things which they can not handle automatically.
23
24 AllenJB