From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 00:24:38
1 On Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:43:12 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > That was irony. It seems that when the CoC comes up people react as
4 > if it is some kind of onerous burden, which is ironic since it has
5 > been applied with so much reservation that you can say practically
6 > anything you want on Gentoo media without repercussion. As far as I
7 > can tell it takes a pretty extreme action to get any kind of
8 > enforcement undertaken.
9
10 That is not reality. They have taken action on very minor offense. While I
11 have seen and been on the receiving end of FAR worse. There is no consistency.
12 There is no oversight, so how anyone could make such statements makes no
13 sense.
14
15 > People seem to think that everybody is out to censor everything, when
16 > the reality seems to be the opposite for the most part. I'm not
17 > really aware of any communities that are more lenient. I think that
18 > largely reflects the fact that we don't have an over-abundance of
19 > contributors so nobody is in a rush to go kicking people out. I
20 > suspect that people were more heavy-handed back when Gentoo was in its
21 > prime, though it was never a large community compared to more
22 > mainstream distros.
23
24 Yet still people are kept from returning and others driven away in 2015-2016,
25 not years ago...
28 William L. Thomson Jr.