From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, council@g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] RFC: Re-evaluate GLEP-0076 and copyright policy
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 05:03:38
1 Let me first describe the problem. Currently the GLEP states:
2 ----------
3 # Purpose / Scope
4 "This policy documents how Gentoo contributors comply and document
5 copyright for any contributions made to Gentoo. Anyone committing
6 documentation or sources to any repository hosted on Gentoo
7 infrastructure or to any official Gentoo project (independently of
8 hosting) must comply with this policy."
9
10 # Certificate of Origin
11 "All commits to Gentoo project repositories shall be accompanied by a
12 certificate of origin."
13 "For commits made using a VCS, the committer shall certify agreement"
14 "The sign-off must contain the committer's legal name as a natural person"
15 "By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:"
16 - "The contribution was created in whole or in part by me"
17 - "The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
18 who certified 1., 2., 3., or 4., and I have not modified it."
19 "I understand and agree that this project and the contribution are
20 public and that a record of the contribution (including all personal
21 information I submit with it, including my sign-off)"
22 ----------
23
24 This causes few misunderstandings with the requirements. Is the legal
25 name sign-off required from the *committer*, or from the *contributor*?
26 What about a contribution where the author just adds a patch from
27 upstream, how much is covered by the Gentoo copyright policies?
28
29 We've turned down many contributions in the past because the contributor
30 did not wish to share their real name. Too many. We've also merged
31 contributions from Github accounts with no history, and absolutely no
32 way for us to determine whether the affiliated name is real. Heck, you
33 can't even tell if the name I use is real. ;)
34
35 Lately we've seen some devs interpret this GLEP as they wish to get
36 contributions in. And we've seen devs silently ignoring the policy. And
37 we've seen devs just taking out the original author from the contributed
38 .patch, pushing someone else's work under their name. None of these
39 actions accomplish what the GLEP was made for.
40 Therefore I suggest we update the GLEP to *clearly* state that *only*
41 committer's sign-off is required. (And I feel like even that is
42 debatable, but at least a start for now)
45 Then a small note about ebuild's copyright header. The GLEP states:
46 "All copyrightable files included in Gentoo projects must contain
47 appropriate copyright and license notices"
48
49 but do ebuilds, at least most of the ebuilds, contain copyrightable
50 innovative work? Most ebuilds are just following the basic skeleton form
51 and calling functions from eclasses and EAPI. Therefore I suggest the
52 copyright headers in ebuilds shouldn't be mandatory, but opt-in, if the
53 author feels like it contains innovative work.
54 And why couldn't we use the ./header.txt to indicate this copyright for
55 every ebuild, why must it be replicated to each .ebuild file? We also
56 have the metadata/AUTHORS file whose purpose I still don't know.
57
58 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature