From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 23:49:50
1 On 1/26/19 10:04 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > I would like to point the community at the following bug
3 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/676248:
4 > Bug 676248 - non-free licenses are accepted without user prompt
5 >
6 > In summary the question is whether non-free licenses should be accepted
7 > by default in Gentoo. today only licenses requiring EULA are not
8 > accepted by default. So this is a good opportunity to discuss whether we
9 > should deviate substantially from other distros like Debian.
10 >
11 > My personal opinion is we should have a default accepting FSF and OSI
12 > approved free/libre licenses and require acceptance for anything else
13 > though package.license / ACCEPT_LICENSE. Since we have this model
14 > already we don't need a separate repository like debian does for its
15 > binary packages, so any change has relatively minor impact on our users
16 > as long as it is presented properly and with a proper timeline.
19 This topic has been discussed from time to time, including in 2013 in
20 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/b36af97cdf6172217974a3afb30475bd
21 . However, context change and 6 years is likely enough time to permit a
22 new discussion.
23
24 What constitute free software is a broad discussion, so for the context
25 of these discussions I recommend we keep to the FSF and OSI definitions.
26 These definitions protects the user's rights to copy/modify/use the
27 application without repercussions, and that is exactly why it should be
28 the default license.
29
30 As soon as a user start using a non-free license the user needs to
31 make judgments on how it will impact on further choice, and likely need
32 to consult a lawyer for practicality if using it in any commercial context.
33
34 In particular in a scenario where the license change unexpectedly this
35 can be an interesting twist, as seen with MongoDB. To quote
36
37 http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2018-October/003739.html
38 :
39 "Developers don’t always pay attention and given they have stated any
40 updates to older versions moving forward are SSPL a developer just
41 grabbing a security update suddenly means you’re not under AGPL anymore
42 but SSPL."
43
44 The consequences for a user arise when using non-free licenses, so the
45 default should be to allow free licenses by default.
46
47 A more puritan approach could be to not provide any approved license at
48 all, but the Gentoo Social contract says "Gentoo is and will remain free
49 software", which makes @FREE the natural choice.
50
51 Most of the issues from the previous discussions have been solved by
52 now, increasing the value of re-opening the discussion, and the
53 user-impact is minimal for setting a default of @FREE given proper
54 documentation in the handbook.
58 Kristian Fiskerstrand
59 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
60 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3