From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:59:31
1 On February 13, 2018 5:23:52 AM EST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:51 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
3 >wrote:
4 >>
5 >> In some fields (law, or finance for example) there are rules against
6 >having
7 >> even potential conflicts. Should Gentoo emulate those rules and
8 >produce an
9 >> organization that avoids even the appearance of conflict?
10 >
11 >Absolutely!
12 >
13 >> A council member is on a team (not even necessarily QA / Comrel).
14 >That
15 >> team's lead makes a decision. The council member doesn't agree with
16 >the
17 >> decision and appeals to council.
18 >> I would argue the member raising the issue has a conflict and they
19 >should
20 >> not vote (recuse / abstain).
21 >
22 >Merely disagreeing with a decision is not a conflict of interest on its
23 >own.
24 >
25 >A conflict exists when somebody stands to personally benefit from a
26 >decision. What personal benefit does a member of a team get from
27 >appealing a disagreement?
28 >
29 >Now, if the decision concerned them personally in some way I could see
30 >a conflict, such as if it were about a reimbursement of an expense
31 >they incurred, or if it were about sponsoring them to go on a trip.
32 >
33 >I wouldn't even consider it a conflict of interest if it were a QA
34 >decision on a commit they made, unless this commit furthered some kind
35 >of work they were doing outside of Gentoo (the commit benefited their
36 >employer or their consulting business).
39 You are focusing on purely financial or tangible gains and attempting to pander law based interpretations of a conflict of interest which are inaccurate. Please, go read and stop spreading false information.
40
41 >Conflict of interest isn't the same as disagreement. It is completely
42 >normal and healthy for people to disagree with things. This does not
43 >in any way make them prejudiced or likely to make a decision that is
44 >bad for the distro.
45 >
46 >Again, I'm completely in favor of avoiding conflicts of interest. It
47 >just seems that there is a popular notion around here of what a
48 >conflict of interest is which certainly wouldn't stand up in a court
49 >of law, or really in any organization. Perhaps this is why so many
50 >seem to be paranoid that there is some kind of cabal running the show.
51 >(One which is elected, so presumably this cabal is upwards of 30+
52 >people.)
55 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.