From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: recruiters@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2022-23: Questions for Candidates: how to increase contributions
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 23:18:30
1 > On 18 Jun 2022, at 00:14, Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
5 >> On 16 Jun 2022, at 19:06, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> A question I'd like the candidates to answer.
10 > I think mgorny's point about the questions is spot on -- they're not bad ones at all,
11 > but they need the whole community to engage on them (so I hope non-nominees
12 > might engage too). Council can't dictate things, and a lot of these aren't
13 > within its gift, but it is of course important to know what we feel is important.
14 >
15 > All that to say, I hope it prompts a discussion from all corners of the community,
16 > not just candidates.
17 >
18 >> What do you feel that Council can do to increase the contributions to
19 >> Gentoo?
22 See above.
23
24 I'm sorry, I meant to come back to these two questions.
27 >> - how do you feel technical debt of Gentoo should be measured?
28
29 I'm not sure how to measure development velocity other than
30 number of contributors, number of commits (excluding stable/keywording
31 gives some useful insight but those are valuable contributions in themselves,
32 but does help to show how many contributions we get fixing bugs in packages),
33 and number of open PRs is generally a good sign of health of the proxy-maint project.
34
35 [snip]
36
37 >> - how do you feel technical debt of Gentoo should be measured?
40 I'm not completely sure how to answer this bit but I do think making it a habit
41 to check over Bugzilla for bugs owned by a project is worth doing regularly.
42
43 I keep finding things which are either easily solved from years ago -
44 or already fixed. You can't know what needs doing if there's noise.
45
46 Best,
47 sam