From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v3]
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 13:36:12
1 >>>>> On Sat, 08 Sep 2018, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2
3 >> This also requires that they use their real name for signing; an
4 >> anonymous certification or one under a pseudonym would not mean
5 >> anything.
6
7 Yes, that's the rationale. We can simply forget about the whole
8 copyright policy effort, if we don't require committers to certify
9 their contributions under their real name.
10
11 > I don't like this. We have anonymous developers right now (at least
12 > their names are not public even in LDAP). The cited requirement will
13 > effectively kick them from the project. Moreover we have contributors
14 > considering to become developers who prefer to keep their anonymity.
15
16 According to recruitment policy [1] (which is in place since 2004 [2]
17 at least), there cannot be any anonymous developers doing copyrightable
18 work:
19
20 # Real names must be provided for all developers, including
21 # infrastructure and documentation. Any exceptions to this for
22 # extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case
23 # basis. No exceptions will be made for people doing copyrightable
24 # work (ebuilds, software, scripts, documentation, etc.).
25
26 AFAICS, the GLEP will only confirm the existing policy there.
27
28 Ulrich
29
30 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters/Recruiting