From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 16:53:32
1 On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:54 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2019-01-28 23:27, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > It's very common to need firmware to use wired or wireless networking.
5 > > I would not want to ship installation media without requisite
6 > > firmware.
7 >
8 > I don't think that sys-kernel/linux-firmware would be affected.
9 >
10 > But if it would be affected, where's the problem? Just create
11 > /etc/portage/package.license for that media.
12 >
13 > Again, the main motion is for users starting with a fresh stage3 image.
14 > Gentoo is about choices. So the only thing which will actually change is
15 > an additional prompt because we are raising awareness...
16
17 I wasn't expressing an opinion on the issue of $topic. Just answering
18 Rich's question about whether it's important to ship non-free firmware
19 on the installation media.
20
21 We can certainly continue shipping non-free firmware on the
22 installation media regardless of what the default choice is within
23 Gentoo.