From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Stabilization process addition: Announcements about required manual intervention
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 02:00:51
1 On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM, AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > ...Which isn't stable yet, so stable users won't see them... if there even
3 > were any news items (I'm using portage 2.2, just sync'd and there are no
4 > news items listed).
5 >
6 > I was aware of GLEP 42 but it's one of those things that seems to have
7 > existed in some form since I started using Gentoo several years ago and has
8 > never been implemented.
11 It was implemented a year ago and released only recently.
12
13 > Given that it's apparently already in testing, when will developers start
14 > using this system? (And how will it be known if there are any issues with it
15 > if it hasn't been used on the live tree before 2.1.6 goes stable?)
18 Probably once portage versions that support it are stable.
19
20 > And who is going to make sure that developers are using it to keep users
21 > informed of (potential) issues?
24 I think the idea of some kind of 'news police' is stupid. Responsible
25 developers will write items, have them checked by someone and then
26 submit them. Irresponsible developers will not.
27
28 > Also, will news items be posted to a web page, forum or mailing list in
29 > addition so that they can be easily linked to from forums / irc / mailing
30 > lists and users can see issues coming in advance if they don't sync
31 > particularly frequently?
32
33 Not at this time, but news items are easy to parse, file a bug if you
34 think this is useful.
35
36 -Alec
39 > AllenJB