From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Stabilization process addition: Announcements about required manual intervention
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 02:00:51
On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM, AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
> ...Which isn't stable yet, so stable users won't see them... if there even > were any news items (I'm using portage 2.2, just sync'd and there are no > news items listed). > > I was aware of GLEP 42 but it's one of those things that seems to have > existed in some form since I started using Gentoo several years ago and has > never been implemented. >
It was implemented a year ago and released only recently.
> Given that it's apparently already in testing, when will developers start > using this system? (And how will it be known if there are any issues with it > if it hasn't been used on the live tree before 2.1.6 goes stable?) >
Probably once portage versions that support it are stable.
> And who is going to make sure that developers are using it to keep users > informed of (potential) issues? >
I think the idea of some kind of 'news police' is stupid. Responsible developers will write items, have them checked by someone and then submit them. Irresponsible developers will not.
> Also, will news items be posted to a web page, forum or mailing list in > addition so that they can be easily linked to from forums / irc / mailing > lists and users can see issues coming in advance if they don't sync > particularly frequently?
Not at this time, but news items are easy to parse, file a bug if you think this is useful. -Alec