From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Making Gentoo more fun
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 22:06:43
1 On 2018-02-18 15:59, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Hi Daniel,
3 >
4 > Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> writes:
5 >
6 > > I have been reflecting on the recently much-broadcasted conflict
7 > > between mgorny and zlg, and considering that maybe at the root of it
8 > > all, we have a process issue rather than a personal one.
9 > >
10 > > Consider this -- Gentoo has very little buffer between what is
11 > > committed to the Portage tree and what ends up on a user's
12 > > system. Because of this, if you are a senior dev on Gentoo, you can
13 > > feel some sense of responsibility for breakages that may occur for
14 > > users. There generate a significant amount of frustration and stress
15 > > as you try to plug the QA holes that you see appearing before you.
16 > >
17 > > This amount of fragility could make one quite anxious, irritable and
18 > > even bitter towards more junior developers who make mistakes. It could
19 > > lead to, rather than addressing this underlying problem, potentially
20 > > being overly harsh with those who make mistakes.
21 >
22 > I agree with your analsys. My taking of this problem has 3 directions,
23 > they may complement each other:
24 >
25 > 1. enforce peer-review of commits, such as Gerrit before commits landing
26 > git repository.
27
28 I’m not terribly fond of this idea. I see it getting in the way of time
29 critical changes. If we were a professional organization, I’d be in
30 favor of this. But, as we’re volunteers, I see the general problem of
31 “forcing” people to get things done.
32
33 > 2. enforce CI before real commits. If someone care about some features
34 > of a critical ebuild, write tests to prevent others from breaking it!
35 >
36 > repoman has already done part of the job.
37
38 We kind of have this already through Github, but I’d like for this to be
39 something I can run on my system without broadcasting it to the world.
40
41 > 3. let us meet more frequently offline, so that we get more acquainted
42 > and become more forgivable and relaxed to each other.
43
44 I would definitely love to do this. Unfortunately, the two nearest devs
45 to me are 6 hours away.