From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:02:06
1 On 08-11-2012 11:45:48 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > > - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
3 >
4 > A better way to put this is disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux.
5 > Some of the alternate platforms still use it, so I do not advocate
6 > killing the function.
7 > If we go forward with the plan, there is no reason the council should
8 > reject disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux that I am aware of.
9 >
10 > This also has to wait until the blockers are resolved on the tracker.
11
12 Do you suggest to drop the point from the agenda? I'd love that.
13
14 > > - define timeframe
15 > > * 30 days
16 > > * 6 months
17 > > * 1 year
18 >
19 > Once the blockers are done and we release a news item, implementing
20 > one of the choices is a matter of emerging a package, possibly running a
21 > command (genkernel with the appropriate options) and updating your boot
22 > loader configuration before your next reboot.
23 >
24 > Considering that we are holding back stabilizations of more and more
25 > packages the longer we wait, is it really a good idea to extend the time
26 > frame to 6 months or a year?
27
28 Yes. I don't think it is reasonable to have a very short timeframe for
29 having to make such a potentially dangerous change.
30
31 Fabian
35 Fabian Groffen
36 Gentoo on a different level