From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 14:36:19
1 A while back I requested information on past copyright assignments [1].
2 Since then, we have located some 30 of the assignment forms, signed by
3 developers (most of them retired by now) in 2004.
4
5 Here is the second part of the exercise. The current draft of the new
6 Gentoo copyright policy [2] arranges for two procedures:
7
8 1. Certifying agreement to a "Gentoo Developer's Certificate of Origin"
9 by including a "Signed-off-by" line with every commit. This would
10 be virtually identical to the procedure used for the Linux kernel,
11 and would be mandatory. A draft of the Gentoo DCO can be seen at [3].
12
13 2. In addition, according to the current policy draft, developers would
14 be encouraged to sign a "Gentoo Contributor License Agreement (CLA)".
15 Its current draft version is at [4]. However, this would be
16 completely voluntary and *not* be required. The exact workflow
17 hasn't been drafted yet, but PGP signing of the form would be one
18 possibility. (Also note that the form includes fields for real name
19 and postal address.)
20
21 The goals of the second item is to "make compliance with this policy
22 easier (fewer copyright holders to list), and allow the Foundation to
23 enforce copyrights and re-license content if appropriate" [2].
24 Apparently, we will only be able to achieve these goals if a
25 significant fraction of contributors will sign the CLA.
26
27 So, before I pursue more work on the CLA I would like to ask all
28 developers and contributors:
29
30 - Would you sign a "Gentoo Contributor License Agreement", similar to
31 the current draft in [4]?
32
33 Please reply to me personally; I shall post a summary to the
34 gentoo-project mailing list in one week from now.
35
36 Thank you in advance,
37 Ulrich
38