From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 15:38:00
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 8:08 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> That just shows that our workflow is so broken that we have to ask such
5 >> things in a quiz.
6 >>
7 >> "Let's track him for one month and revert any major breakage quickly" is
8 >> our answer to what the rest of the world does: review.
11 > Well, arguably the gentoo-sunrise suggestion is more in line with this.
14 Sunrise does not have a proper review workflow. It's IRC-driven review
15 and you may wait for an answer a few days and have to be lucky to catch
16 the reviewers in right time.
17
18 I tried to fix it, but the whole concept of two repositories was just
19 inappropriate for a git workflow.
20
21 > I have a bunch of thoughts here, but I think changing the overall
22 > model of Gentoo so that the role of a developer changes substantially
23 > is really a separate topic. I'm not opposed to this but I don't think
24 > we should just ignore the issue of obtaining developers in the hope
25 > that the need for this will go away.
28 It's not a separate topic. It's just a different solution to the same
29 problem.
30 But you have thought one step too far. I wasn't suggesting the same
31 thing as I did in other threads. I was merely pointing out that there
32 doesn't need to be a formal recruiting process.
33
34 Just ask yourself how people get commit access to other random
35 opensource projects. From my experience it doesn't happen through a
36 recruitment process. If at all it is because your pull requests have
37 very high quality and you showed that you are in line with the project
38 goals, so that the project owners thought it might be easier to just
39 give you direct push access (which I still think is a mistake, but that
40 is indeed a different topic).
41
42 People who regularly submit good pull requests and participate in open
43 debate don't go unnoticed.
44
45 > Even if we went to a review-based workflow, we would STILL need to vet
46 > new reviewers in some way, so we'd still have many of the same
47 > challenges. If anything the role of a reviewer is even more difficult
48 > to fill than a committer, since committers have the freedom to only
49 > work on the stuff they want to work on but if we want review to
50 > actually work we need reviewers to cover anything the committers want
51 > to work on.
54 Nah. You don't assign someone to review EVERYTHING for a single person.
55 Why would you do that? It doesn't work.
58 The point is... that the line between regular contributor and "gentoo
59 dev" doesn't matter much for many people and that means they are not
60 really interested in taking much effort to overcome that line.
61
62 I've been asked recently by a community member if he should bother to
63 try to become a gentoo dev, because he heard it's a pain.
64 Then again... regularly contributing to gentoo via bug reports is even
65 more a pain... so he's just running yet another personal overlay.
66
67 The fact that projects like proxy-maintainers and sunrise have to exist
68 are proof that we are doing something wrong! I'm not discrediting any of
69 those. They fill a gap, but the question is... why do we have that gap
70 in the first place?
71
72 So, things come together in the end.