From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 22:58:37
1 On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 3:52 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Regardless of anything that is said in this thread, I do not agree, as
4 > a council member, with the idea of the Gentoo community actively
5 > tarnishing anyone's reputation.
6 >
7 > I have added the proctors to this email, because I think they should
8 > determine whether your behavior is a CoC violation.
11 The opinions below are my own.
12
13 IMO advocating for what Gentoo should or shouldn't do isn't a CoC
14 violation. I certainly haven't said anything intended to tarnish
15 Sony's reputation in the email above.
16
17 I do think that antarus's suggestion of leaving the policy as-is for
18 now and seeking further clarification from Sony as to why they feel it
19 is necessary to change it would be more constructive.
20
21 That said, I don't like the idea that corporations can basically
22 dictate policy changes under the threat of withdrawing contributions.
23 This has created a lot of churn mostly involving the most senior
24 members of the community, and a moderate amount of division. While
25 one developer getting to spend a few hours per week on company time on
26 Gentoo commits is certainly helpful, many other companies seem to be
27 able to provide this to Gentoo without requiring policy changes, and
28 far more hours get donated by volunteers without any demands for
29 concessions.
30
31 I'll admit that my post was a bit emotional, and as such perhaps not a
32 great example for a dev to set. However, I'm not sure that passive
33 acceptance of a change like this is going to be any less harmful to
34 Gentoo than active defiance. These two are of course not the only
35 alternatives, and we should seek a better way.
38 Rich