From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] 'Gentoo in 2020' summary
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 20:36:37
1 On Sun, 2021-01-03 at 12:10 -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 12:35 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi, everyone.
5 > >
6 > > I think it would be really great if we could publish a summary of
7 > > (good) things that happened in Gentoo in 2020. We weren't able to
8 > > maintain Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, nor Monthly. However, we might be
9 > > able to manage at least a yearly Newsletter ;-).
10 > >
11 > > I know I'm going to regret this but I volunteer to take care of
12 > > combining and publishing the data. Nevertheless, I'd really appreciate
13 > > if you could reply to this mail with ideas of what you think would be
14 > > worth listing. I'd also use a native English speaker for editorial
15 > > help.
18 > > Please reply with your ideas in the form of:
19 > >
20 > > [sort-key] **A short sentence summarizing the change.** 1-3 sentences
21 > > of detailed explanation.
24 > [infra] Bugzilla DB migration, performance improvements.
25 > We migrated bugzilla to a newer database cluster (mysql galera) and
26 > ported bugzilla from CGI to mod_perl, resulting in a large performance
27 > improvement (sometimes as much as 800ms faster per request.)
28
29 I think faster Bugzilla actually counts towards a major change ;-).
32 > [infra] CFEngine migration 90% complete.
33 > Infra remains on an older version of cfengine. We have deleted about
34 > 5000 lines of config with 2 major services to migrate off of. We began
35 > using cfengine in 2002; and started using puppet in 2010. In 2021 we
36 > will
37 > be free of cfengine.
38 >
39 > [infra] Capacity shuffle.
40 > We turned down 3 machines this year (grebe, grouse, brambling) and
41 > have at least 5 machines to replace in 2021 (gannet, godwit, nightjar,
42 > nightheron, noddie) Most infra machines are around 10 years old. We
43 > onboarded some new machines as well (pardalote, petrel, vanga) and
44 > have additional machines coming online in 2021. In 2020 we renewed our
45 > OSS credits with Amazon Web Services and we signed a contract with
46 > Fastly to provide OSS credits that we are using for CDN services to
47 > make our offerings faster for our users.
50 I think these two would probably be better in 'other changes'.
51 I suppose CDN might also mean improved performance but I don't think we
52 have had noticeably bad performance before.
55 Best regards,
56 Michał Górny