From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] maintainer-wanted bugcount
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:03:47
1 On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 14:12 +0100, Markus Ullmann wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz schrieb:
3 > > What is bad about the current state of leaving maintainer-wanted bugs
4 > > open? What problem is it causing that you want to fix?
5 >
6 > Currently a bunch of them are either
7 > - dead upstream for quite some time
8 > - don't work with a current system
9
10 As mentioned these should be closed as WONTFIX or CANTFIX. We'd need
11 people to go through bugzilla and have a look at all maintainer-wanted
12 bugs that are, say, more than one year old.
13
14 I actually did look into this briefly a few months ago, based on the
15 same observation of so many maintainer-wanted bugs open. Based on
16 looking at some random bugs my observation was that most upstreams still
17 exist. Whether or not they are dead is another matter that requires some
18 more time, as does assessing if the package is still relevant for the
19 tree.
20
21 I'd be happy to revisit this and start combing bugzilla in a bit more
22 structured way and close maintainer-wanted bugs when applicable, but it
23 will be slow going. Any other volunteers? I imagine a quick write-up of
24 goals and "rules" a la treecleaners should be enough to kick this off.
25
26 Voting could really help to bring maintainer-wanted bugs to our
27 attention. Currently only 3 bugs have any votes for them. If more people
28 would dish out their votes it would become more clear which packages
29 would please a large number of people and there may be more incentive
30 for maintainers to take them.
31
32 Kind regards,
33