From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: licenses@g.o, Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:33:09

Gentoo has a social contract [1] which makes a lot of noise about free
software.
However our default settings allow to use almost any kind of non-free
license such as "all-rights-reserved".

While I see nothing wrong with gentoo providing proprietary stuff (and
I have created a lot of such games ebuilds), I think according to our
philsophy and social contract we should make people aware of free
software and because of that also change the default to:

ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"

This is only about the _default_.
We will have to change the handbook at "1.d. Licenses" [2] and might
also make a news item.

- --
[1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
[2]