From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: dberkholz@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation: Edit generated Changelogs
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:45:04
1 On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:39:52 -0500
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 16:27 Mon 19 Sep , Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > > [quote from [1]]
6 > > - Vote: Retroactively change existing entries, yes or no.
7 > > - We will append to changelogs and retain all existing
8 > > changelog messages.
9 > > [/quote from [1]]
10 > >
11 > > An additional advantage of keeping the file is that we can easily
12 > > fix all entries that people wrote/committed ugly and helpless
13 > > messages for, like "^" and so on.
14 >
15 > After autogenerated ChangeLogs have existed for long enough that
16 > hardly anyone will need to see handwritten messages anymore (since
17 > they'll be old and stale, I fully intend to switch my vote to
18 > supporting complete autogen.
19
20 To see that, devs should be motivated not to intentionally write cruft
21 into commit messages and/or edit ChangeLogs.
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny