From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:25:47
1 Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 18:02:22
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:56:26 -0500
5 > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On 02/05/2015 12:31 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > > > On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0500
8 > > > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
9 > > >> I'll start with the silliest:
10 > > >>
11 > > >> Explain briefly the purpose of the following tools: grep, cut,
12 > > >> sed, cat, wc, awk
13 > > >
14 > > > This is in no way silly when viewed in its proper historical
15 > > > context. It was added because before the quiz existed, someone
16 > > > recruited a couple of developers for Gentoo/Alt who didn't know
17 > > > what grep was, and they broke the tree in a horrific way.
18 > > >
19 > >
20 > > There are a lot of things that a candidate needs to know before he
21 > > becomes a developer, and this is one of them. My point is, is this
22 > > question an effective filter? No, because given unlimited time and
23 > > access to Google (or `man`), my mother could give you a satisfactory
24 > > answer. It's silly because it's pointless.
25 >
26 > It filters out candidates who can't use 'man'... It's sad to admit that
27 > this was necessary, but at the time when I wrote that question, it
28 > wasn't possible to rely upon senior developers to do even that kind of
29 > screening.
30
31 As well as candidates who don't want to be treated like idiots. Say, if
32 I have proven multiple times that I can use those tools better than you
33 do, why should I now explain what they are? This almost makes me think
34 of those exams where you are supposed to convince the examiner that you
35 know a lot when he has no idea what you're talking about.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny