From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 16:57:55
1 On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 05:24:04PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > > I populated the example list based on tying the "Copyright: Sony Interactive
3 > > Entertainment Inc." commit messages to the author of those commits.
4 >
5 > I was responding to the wording of your proposal: "the list is
6 > copyright holders that the developer has worked for."
7 >
8 > If I commit something copyrighted by Google, that doesn't make me a
9 > Google employee, or suggest that I've done work on their behalf in any
10 > way. I (probably without their knowledge) just copy/pasted their code
11 > into the repo, under the terms of whatever license they released the
12 > code under.
13 I didn't say it did, read further below.
14
15 > You could change the wording to:
16 >
17 > "...where key is the identify of a Gentoo developer, and the list are
18 > entities who own the copyright to parts of commits the developer has
19 > made."
20 >
21 > I really don't see the value though in making this association. What
22 > good is it to know that somewhere in somebody's long list of commits
23 > that there might be a few lines originally created by the Apache
24 > Foundation or whatever?
25 I agree it should be substantial works that could reach the threshold of
26 copyright notability, and that's what I feel my list is.
27
28 > In the case of actual employment it might make more sense if there are
29 > extensive works for hire, but not if somebody just one time committed
30 > one patch file that held somebody else's copyright.
31 I'd say all of my entries do fall under more extensive works for hire,
32 as multiple organizations I listed were my full-time employers for
33 years, and I contributed to Gentoo on work time, for work purposes,
34 under open-source licenses, with the approval of the company (easy in
35 small companies).
36 The separate list of consulting work I did also featured extensive
37 works, e.g. one of the entries there funded my work to make Open-iSCSI
38 work with LDAP authentication in Gentoo.
39
40 Revised suggestion taking into account your concern as well as the
41 separate thread that contributors without @gentoo.org addresses should
42 be recognized:
43 ===
44 key:
45 name of contributor and/or their associated unique email address
46 (emails should not be duplicated in the keys)
47 value:
48 a list of entities who may own the copyright to parts of commits
49 the developer has made
50 ===
53 Robin Hugh Johnson
54 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
55 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
56 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
57 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136